To create this front cover I started off by choosing an appropriate font for my masthead that would match the theme of the magazine, the theme being college. To do this I used the font pallet on photoshop changing the colour as well to a blue that matched the Priestley logo. I also put a drop shadow on the text so it didn't look flat on the page. Afterwards I added my main image changing the levels of it to ensure the colour was at its fullest making the image look less washed out. I also made the main image obstruct the masthead to give it more of a 3D affect. To do this all I did was rasterize the masthead and the erase the parts of it that overlapped the image making it look like it was behind it. Next I made sure that all the essential components were on the cover such as a barcode, website and price. For the price I added a star shape behind it adding a drop shadow again to make it stand out slightly as the price is the first thing people will want to know with a magazine. I added smaller images to my front cover to make it look slightly less overpowered by all the words so it didn't look as harsh on the eyes. I also did because people will see the pictures first before they read the cover lines so it will also draw people into the magazine and make them want to read it. On two of the images I added both a drop shadow and a stroke by going to blending options and selecting each of them. This made the images stand out more and give a 3D affect. I made the stroke colour blue so it would match the masthead and the Priestley logo colour. I used the polygonal lasso tool to cut out one of the images to distinguish that they were arrows so people would understand the cover line I put with it. I added white strokes to the cover lines again to make the text stand out and to make it easier to read.
On my college front cover I think it looked rather empty and bland so next time I will make sure to fill up the empty spaces and make it look brighter as I think my colour choices were a bit dark too. I will also change the font because I think the fonts I used were to simple and generic so I would like to choose a unique text but still match it with my theme. I would also change the layout of my front cover as I also think that it is a very simple and generic set out. So I would like to make it look more unusual.
To create this contents page I started with the 'Contents' title. I made the arrow first with the custom shape tool and coloured it blue so it matched with the front cover colours. I did this because I thought if the colours were too different it wouldn't look like the same magazine and it would look a bit messy. I went to the blending option again to add a drop shadow to the shape again so it didn't look bland and flat on the page. Next I added both the 'Contents' and the 'September Edition' text colouring it white as I did the strokes on the text on the front cover so it matched and people would be able to read it clearly. Next I added all the images to fill up the page and make it look more enticing rather than just having text all over the place. On every image I went to the blending option and added blue strokes and a drop shadow to give depth to the images and made them stand out. I also added little captions on them so people would have an insight into what the articles were about that the picture indicated. After this I used the rounded shape tool to create smaller boxes on the corners of each image. I didn't add a drop shadow to these as I wanted to give the affect that they were pinning the images to the background. In each box I added the numbers to indicate which page each article was on using a drop shadow to give them depth. Then I added more page numbers and captions to the space left instead of having just a page of images. Again to add depth to them I put a drop shadow on both the numbers and words. I then added little things to the contents page to make people interested or to give people information on things. I added the 'Stoptober' logo because that is a big topic today and I added a caption for that putting a white stroke on it so people can read it clearly. I used the custom shape tool to create another star shape with a drop shadow so it will be eye-catching and people will notice it so they won't miss out on the 'Competition' that I stated.
On my college contents page I think it was slightly too overpowered with images so next time I think I will add less images and have more text so people know more about what is in the magazine. I think the layout seems a bit random so I will change that to have a more ordered layout. Also I think the colour and font choices were too plain and generic so next time I will definitely change them to make the contents page brighter and more unique looking.


No comments:
Post a Comment